- 3 pounds lbs of apples (Granny Smith, Gala, Pink Lady)
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (tightly packed)
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 Stick of chilled butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a mixing bowl add lemon juice
- Peel and core the apples. (I prefer to do the apples 1 at a time to keep them from turning brown)
- Cut apples into uniform chunks and put in bowl with lemon juice and coat apples (the lemon juice will keep the apples from turning brown)
- In another bowl mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Pour brown sugar mixture over apples and mix until evenly coated
- In a mixing bowl combine rolled oats, granulated sugar and flour and mix together
- Cut butter into small pieces and place into bowl with oats mixture
- Using a fork, mix up butter into mixture until mixture forms pea sized crumbles (You can also use a large wire whisk for more uniform clumps)
- Mix in walnuts/pecans
- Grease a 9 inch baking dish and spread the apple mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover apples with crumb mixture.
- Cook for 30 – 45 minutes at 375°, or until the apples are soft and topping is browned slightly.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whip cream