We like desserts in this house (does any house not?). And when birthdays roll around, there is the perfect excuse to indulge in sweets. So for Rachel’s birthday, we did. (Pro Tip: Do this when family is coming over. You get to sample then off-load most of the calories on them!)
To celebrate, I baked Almond Cup Cakes with Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting. I wanted a second dessert, because you can never have too many desserts (read Pro Tip above) when family visits. Rachel found this Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treats recipe that Jessica had posted over on How Sweet Eats. Being a huge fan of cake batter (more on this later), we had to make it for the second birthday treat. They were, of course, delicious! So, we are pleased to share the recipe on this week’s installment of Taste Test Thursday.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who lick the bowl clean of cake batter, and those who don’t. And if those two people live together, the one who doesn’t lick the bowl should always remember to save it for the person who does. One of the biggest baking offenses you can make when baking isn’t messing up the recipe; it’s putting the bowl in the sink and filling it with water before they’ve been properly cleaned. Thankfully, I learned this tip a long time ago. If you remember it, you’ll lead a very happy life!
These Rice Krispies Treats are perfect for all you cake batter lovers out there. They retain that ooey gooey marshmallowy goodness you expect from a Rice Krispie Treat, while incorporating the flavor of pure unbridled cake batter. If ever there was a dessert match in heaven (that did not include chocolate), it would be marshmallows and cake batter. Sprinkles complete the treat with a splattering of fun colors. Great for any dessert; perfect for a birthday celebration.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 15 -ounce bag of mini marshmallows (original called for a 10 oz bag. We added extra half a bag!)
- 1/4 cup yellow cake mix
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 1.75-ounce container of sprinkles
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in cake mix one spoonful at a time so its combined.
- Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture.
- Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix.
- Press into a baking dish (any size will do) and top with remaining sprinkles.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting. Spray a knife with non stick spray for an easier time cutting.
Recipe from: How Sweet Eats