Confession time. I’m a chocoholic. I never thought I would say that, growing up as a vanilla ice cream fan, but it’s true. Brownies, devils food cake, chocolate donuts, and especially those most evil of all, the Hostess Chocolate Cup Cakes with the cream filling; I love them all. And when Baby Boy was still brand new to our world and sleeping in 2 hour spurts, it was Tea and Chocolate that got me through the afternoons at work.
I don’t need chocolate. Most of the time I’m pretty good making it through the day without sweets. But last Friday I needed something chocolaty. It wasn’t even a bad week, I just really needed something fudgey, gooey and chewy.
Unfortunately, or fortunately I suppose, we were out of brownie mix. So with it around 80 degrees in our kitchen (old house, no central air here thanks) I decided to make home made chocolate fudge brownies for the first time ever. And the results? Phenomenal. I don’t think I’m ever going back to that store bought stuff again!
We’re going to visit with friends this weekend. They’re hosting a BBQ and we offered to bring the dessert. Jen, we’ll be bringing these!
Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (1 cup), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8″square baking pan with PAM. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches hanging over the sides. Spray parchment paper.
- In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Let cool in pan about 15 minutes.
- Lift brownies out of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
These are the ingredients you will need to whip up a batch of Chocolate Fudge Brownies.
Using a double boiler, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder.
In a stand mixer with whisk attachment, combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
After about 4 minutes, when the mixture becomes pale, add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until combined.
Reduce the speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined. Yum chocolate! Pour this into the prepared dish and bake for about 35 minutes. Lick the bowl and spoon while you wait.
After cooling for 15 minutes, remove the baked brownies from the tray and let cool completely on a wire rack. I made it about 15 minutes TOTAL before I had to steal a bite.
Embrace your inner chocoholic and indulge in these chocolate fudge brownies. Go ahead, I won’t tell!