Last weekend my little sister asked me to bake something for her confirmation party. When asked what she would like my beautiful sister, as usual, said “whatever ”.
Left to figure dessert out on my own, I decided on trying something new rather than the “go to’s”; white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, guinness cake, or plain chocolate chip cookies. After much consideration and consultation with Rachel, I decided on Chocolate Raspberry Cookies.
I did some experimentation with these as I wasn’t sure what would work best; with chocolate chips or without, with the jam inside or on top. I even tried some with Raspberry Liqueur (Nana liked these, but I think she likes anything with liqueur in it!). So the recipe below is the final verdict after family taste testing. I may go back and tinker with this recipe in the future. If you try this recipe, or do anything different, let me know in the comments below!
Recipe: Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp raspberry jam
- 1 cup chocolate chip cookies
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars together at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and jam, beating well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and baking powder; gradually add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended. Stir in chocolate chip cookies.
- Drop cookies by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Lightly push down into center of dough balls to create a shallow well. Spoon 1/2 tsp of raspberry jam into well and cover lightly with extra dough.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Prepare Raspberry Icing. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Once cool, drizzle with Raspberry Icing.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Meal type: dessert
1. Lovely shot of the ingredients you’ll need for Chocolate Raspberry Cookies.
2. Beat butter and sugars together at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and jam, beating well. Use an electric mixer. No need to kill yourself.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and baking powder; gradually add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended.
4. Mix by hand until everything comes together in a thick, dark dough.
5. Drop cookies by the tablespoon onto the cookie sheet.
6. I first tried just putting the Jam on top and baking, but it got a bit messy as you can see below. Instead, form a shallow well in the dough ball, scoop in 1/2 tsp of jam, and cover lightly with more dough.
7. The result is a delicious Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookie with Raspberry Jam hiding inside!
And there you have it. Chocolate Raspberry Cookies.