Recovering chocoholics, close this page now.
This recipe is exploding with chocolate, and I don’t want to be held responsible for you relapsing and eating a whole batch of Cookies and Cream Oreo Fudge Brownies.
Still here? Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
These mondo chocolaty oreo brownies have it all; dark chocolate, semi sweet chocolate, hot fudge, chunks of Oreo, and a big scoop of cookies and cream ice cream just for good measure. To quote my 14 year old brother Jim, “they’re awesome”.
I’m a big fan of brownies (who isn’t) but always made them from the box, never knowing any better. I used to do a lot more cooking than baking, but I’ve slowly been branching out and trying new things. In July I first made home made chocolate fudge brownies, and since than I have sworn off the boxed stuff. Alright, maybe I haven’t exactly abandoned them in earnest, but the point is, if I’m going to indulge, I prefer to do it right. So for Nana’s birthday party this weekend I decided to bake brownies, only this time I wanted to kick up the level of gooey chocolatiness.
Most of the Oreo Brownie recipes I came across used boxed mix which is fine. I’ve made them and they come out great. But as I said, if I’m going to give in to the chocolate madness, I want to do it right. So I started with that same home made chocolate fudge brownie recipe I first fell in love with. From there I added half a cup of hot fudge (oh yeah!), and for good measure, because I love cookies and cream ice cream so much, I added half a cup of that as well.
I couldn’t just leave well enough alone, so I chopped up some Oreos and threw those into the batter too – because Oreos make everything even better. Want to know the only thing better than Oreos? Double Stuffed Oreos. And I had intended on using those, but somehow the package I picked up earlier in the week disappeared before I could bake (I wasn’t the only cookie thief!) – so I used regular Oreos.
I don’t often stray from recipes. I guess I’m not a confident cook/baker yet. So I was a little nervous when I put these in the oven. But after they had come out of the oven and cooled, as I cut into them I knew I had succeeded; no kitchen failure this day. Just lots of chocolate goodness. No one flavor overwhelms the other. These aren’t plain old Oreo brownies – these are cookies and cream Oreo fudge brownies. You taste all of it in each bite, which is, to quote my brother again, “awesome”.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup hot fudge
- 1/2 cup cookies and cream ice cream
- 12 Oreo’s – cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8″square baking pan with PAM. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches hanging over the sides. Spray parchment paper.
- In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Add hot fudge and ice cream, mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined.
- Add Oreo’s to batter, folding in to incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Let cool in pan about 15 minutes.
- Lift brownies out of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
If you want the “easier” recipe using boxed brownie mix, click here.