8 November, 2011
Herbed Spaghetti Squash With Angel Hair PastaComments : 8 Posted in : Dinner on by : Chris Tags: Dinner, spaghetti, spaghetti squash, squash
Daylight Saving Time has ended. For most people – the ones without an infant – that means getting to sleep in an hour later. (I’m usually not one to hate Facebook status updates. But on Sunday, I really hated seeing everyone say how much they enjoyed sleeping in!)
For Baby Boy, who was born after Daylight Saving Time had already begun, it meant a little confusion. I mean, one day Daddy is coming home just as the sun is setting, so you are know it isn’t bedtime just yet. The next, it’s dark out and you haven’t even gotten a bath yet. The nerve of these people to keep you up!
Baby Boy wasn’t the only one disoriented. Usually I see the sun rise as I drive into work. The past few weeks I’ve really enjoyed seeing the magnificent colors of the Fall foliage, and the morning mists parting, as I make my commute. But with the time change, the sun was already up by the time I got in the car. More than once I briefly panicked, feeling like I was running late, when I was actually on time.
Baby Boy has just about adjusted to the new time schedule – we had started pushing bed time back later on Friday to prepare. But he is still ready for bed a little sooner than usual. Cooking being a bit more challenging on Monday night than usual, Rachel and I tag teamed this spaghetti squash dinner. It’s one of our go to dinners when we’ve had a busy day or just want a quick and easy dinner. It requires minimal preparation work; just microwave the squash (or bake it) to soften it, boil some pasta, combine with herbs and cheese, and you’re good to go.
So whether your disoriented from a time change, battling a cranky infant, or just feeling lazy, give this easy spaghetti squash recipe a try.
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan reggiano
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and pulp. Put face down in quarter inch of water. Microwave 8 – 10 minutes or until strands pull apart with fork. OR instead of microwaving, place prepared squashed face down in baking tray filled with enough water to cover bottom of squash. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until you can easily pull apart the strands of the squash with a fork.
- While squash cooks, cook angel hair pasta and set aside, keeping warm.
- Pull strands of squash apart with fork and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add butter (it will melt in the hot squash), oregano, basil, garlic powder, and salt.
- Combine squash mixture and pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)