January 30, 2014Posted in: Dinner
The Superbowl is being played Sunday, which means one thing in this house: food.
Chili sounds like a good food for Superbowl Sunday, no? If you were leaning in that direction, I’d like to encourage you to give this particular chili a try. The mix of sausage, beef, and spices is fantastic. Scoop it with chips or a spoon. Your choice. As a bonus, it is easy and pretty quick to make (once everything is chopped- get a sous chef and you are set!).
Rachel and I were given cooking classes as a wedding gift (awesome gift BTW!). We got this recipe from one of the lessons we attended and have been cooking it ever since! We call it “Daniel’s Chili” in this house, as Daniel was the originator of the recipe. We can’t remember his last name, or we’d direct you to him. I am certain he has many more delicious recipes up his sleeve.
And in case you are not gluttons like we are and do not eat the entire batch in one sitting, rest assured it freezes well…
- 1T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 and 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 6oz tomato paste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1T ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 T chili powder
- 1T dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 T dry red wine
- 1T fresh lemon juice
- 4T chopped fresh dill
- 4T chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 can (16oz) dark red kidney beans
- Heat the olive oil in a very large pot. Add the onions and cook over med-low heat until soft.
- Turn the heat up to med-high and add the sausage and ground beef. Cook until the meats are well browned. Spoon off any extra fat and discard.
- Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley, beef broth, jalapeño and kidney beans. Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!