Confession time. I don’t always eat the healthiest (who does?). I probably consume more carbs than I should (I live in NJ, home of the finest fresh Italian bread, bagels, and pizza in the country in my opinion), I love cheese (it goes great on everything), chocolate helps get me through the afternoon (when tea fails), and my idea of eating my greens is lettuce in my sandwich(with tomato and bacon of course).
I never gave eating healthily much thought when I was younger (oh boy, now I’m starting to sound like my Dad here) but I’m not exactly a spring chicken anymore and starting to care a little more about what I am putting into my body. I’m in the twilight of my twenties (as in the sun is just about set). When I came back from Japan in 2005 (after living on sushi and ramen and riding my bicycle everywhere), I was so skinny people were concerned (looking back, I guess I was a little too skinny). Now that I am not riding my bike to work daily (the highways make that a little hard), I do need to try watch what I eat and get
more some exercise.
It always seemed that if I wanted to eat healthier, I was going to have to do a lot more prep work and the results would be less tasty. But that isn’t the case, as I’ve been learning. Take for example this awesomely delicious crunchy chicken salad wrap I found on Lori’s website, Recipe Girl. It was fresh and crisp and left me satisfied and not looking for more to eat.
I’m still working on incorporating some exercise into my life now that Baby Boy is here and taking up my time (beyond the leisurely stroll around the neighborhood with Baby Boy strapped into the Baby Bjorn). Happily, with recipes like these I can at least start eating a little better. (But don’t worry, I’m not abandoning the cookies and cupcakes just yet.)
Recipe: Crunchy Chicken Salad Wraps
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 2 whole green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- 4 medium red-leaf lettuce leaves
- Combine the chicken, cucumber, celery, scallions, parsley, mayonnaise, lemon juice and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them a bit more pliable. Divide and layer the lettuce and chicken mixture on the tortillas. Roll up, fasten with toothpicks, and cut diagonally in half.
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 6 Old WW Program: 5
Recipe from: Recipe Girl