This post may not exactly be seasonally appropriate anymore, missing the cut off by a few weeks, but that does nothing to take away from how quick and tasty this tortellini salad is. And to be fair, we did first make it in early September for an end of summer bbq. Having made it again for lunch this week, I can tell you this salad tastes just as good when the leaves are falling as when they were still green and on the trees.
I follow a lot of food blogs. A lot. To the point that I’m surprised my Google Reader hasn’t exploded yet in protest. But I love it. I can just do a quick keyword search and I’ve instantly got dozens of recipe ideas from bloggers I enjoy reading. So when we were looking for a cold side dish to go with our burgers, something that we could make ahead of time and just take out of the fridge to serve, I went where I always go. To my foodie friends archived in my reader. I found this tortellini pasta salad with roasted vegetables on Maria’s site, Two Peas & Their Pod.
Rachel and I are really enjoying Taste Test Thursdays. In case you’re a new reader, Taste Test Thursday was started to get Rachel and I out of our food rut – making the same old thing every week. So each week we pick a recipe from another food blog, try it out, and share it with you here.
This tortellini salad is a great addition to our weekly Taste Test Thursday line up. We enjoyed it so much we made it again for lunch this week. We hope you’ll give it a try too. And please be sure to check out the original recipe and the other great posts on Two Peas and Their Pod.
Oh, before you go- Quick side note and special shout out to my friend Christian Brock for the blog help this week. He made us awesome favicon, as well as helping me with the Subscribe & Share feature in the post footer. I’m no programmer, but thanks to Christian I’ve learned just enough to be dangerous. ^_~
Recipe: Tortellini Pasta Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped, seeds removed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini, cooked according to package instructions, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 1/4 cups balsamic dressing (use your favorite brand)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To roast the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, onion, and garlic on a large baking sheet. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and gently toss. Season with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven and roast for about 30-35 minutes, stirring vegetables occasionally. Remove vegetables from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tortellini, roasted vegetables, Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil. Add the balsamic dressing and gently stir until tortellini and vegetables are well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the salad chilled.
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe from: Two Peas and Their Pod